AN INQUIRY into Queensland's disastrous summer of floods will hold its 58th and final day of hearings today.
About 2.5 million people were affected and 35 died when more than 70 per cent of the state flooded last summer.
The $15 million Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry has spent its final week finalising several topics of investigation, including the controversial Q-100 flood probability measure and flood mitigation measures in mines.
Queensland Resources Council chief executive Michael Roche told the inquiry yesterday that the floods "brought the coal industry to its knees".
He said Transitional Environmental Process applications, which enable the emergency release of water from tailings dams, were granted for reasons of human and environmental safety.
But he argued TEPs should also apply to economic disasters.
He said that during the floods the then Environment Minister Kate Jones was "a bit toey" and that a letter he received from the premier's office did not adequately address his concerns.
Mr Roche told reporters outside the inquiry he'd "kissed and made up" with the government, and that environmental regulations had since been relaxed to help mining companies prepare for the upcoming storm season.
Several Brisbane City Council employees, who had already given evidence to the inquiry, were questioned again yesterday about aspects of the Q-100.
In September, the inquiry was told residents and engineers thought homes and public infrastructure, such as the Brisbane's iconic floating riverwalk, were safe.
Yesterday morning BCC announced it had chosen the design for a replacement for the ruined riverwalk, which became a poignant symbol of destruction during the floods.
The fixed structure has been designed to withstand a one in 2000 year flood event, rather than a one in 100 year event.
The commission, which made 175 recommendations in its interim report in August, has received more than 700 submissions and will deliver its final findings on February 24.