DEADLY death cap mushrooms have been found in the Adelaide Hills, prompting a warning from health authorities not to eat them.SA Health director Kevin Buckett said people should not eat any unidentified wild mushrooms.
"We are already beginning to see wild mushrooms appear in areas such as parks, backyards, farm paddocks, nature reserves and road-sides," Dr Buckett said.
"This includes reports of the death cap mushrooms - amanita phalloides - which are extremely poisonous."
Dr Buckett said there was no easy way to tell if a mushroom was edible and while some might look okay they can contain a range of toxins.
Eating a poisonous mushroom can cause severe abdominal pains, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea and in the more severe cases can cause liver damage and kidney failure.
Dr Buckett said anyone who became ill after eating mushrooms was advised to seek urgent medical attention and, if possible, take a whole mushroom with them to help experts identify the type.
There have been no reports of anyone in Adelaide eating death cap or any other poisonous mushrooms so far this year.
But in January, two Canberra residents died after one of them mistook death cap mushrooms for an edible variety and used them in a meal.