AUSTRALIA could lose up to $9 billion in tourism revenue after Qantas boss Alan Joyce to cut ties with Tourism Australia.The Daily Telegraph reports the decision puts at risk a long-term plan to lure 860,000 Chinese visitors to Australia by 2020.
On Tuesday Qantas ended its 40-year partnership with Tourism Australia amid claims chairman Geoff Dixon was trying to sabotage the national carrier.
The Tourism Australia board called a crisis meeting yesterday in a bid to manage the fallout.
Earlier this year, the body's managing director Andrew McEvoy said China was Australia's highest value and fastest growing international market.
Yesterday, he said Tourism Australia would continue working with its key partners.