ODES Australia will stop selling child-sized quad bikes on December 31 in a bid to curb deaths and injuries.
The company's director Ken Higgins made the announcement today in a statement which said the company had been following the debate on the quad bike safety issue and decided this step was necessary.
- TELL US WHAT YOU THINK
- Do you agree with the Federal Government's age ban on full-size ATVs? VOTE NOW in our exclusive poll
- EDITORIAL: ATV age ban a fact of life
- READ MORE: ATV age ban confirmed
- READ MORE: Roll bars aid ATV safety
- READ MORE: Lobby group plots ATV safety
- Have Your Say in the form below
He also said the company supported Workplace Relations Minister Bill Shorten push to ban the use of full size quad bikes by under 16s in workplaces.
"We at Odes Australia have been following the meetings, discussions and forums being held around Australia and the world," the statement said.
"This decision is made in the interests of children's safety and the risks that are now apparent in the reports of deaths and serious injuries to children from the use of quads of all sizes. Action on this step cannot wait for more children to die or be seriously injured."
The company also said it had taken safety steps by introducing quad bars to its dealer network and from January would offer people the option of fitting a quad bar when buying a vehicle.