A TEENAGER teenager charged with the manslaughter of David Cassai, who died after being assaulted at Rye, has been refused bail.
Mr Cassai, 22, died after being struck outside a pizza shop at Rye on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula on Monday morning.
Police yesterday charged 18-year-old Dylan John Closter, of Millgrove, with manslaughter.
Mr Closter appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court today and was refused bail.
The court heard Mr Closter is alleged to have bumped Mr Cassai with his hip and shoulder and exchanged words before striking him at least three times.
Mr Cassai fell to the ground and struck his head, and died later in hospital.
It is alleged Mr Closter was laughing, joking and said, "That's what we are here for," as he walked away after the attack.
In opposing bail, police alleged Mr Closter was at an unacceptable risk of interfering with a witness, who is yet to be interviewed.
But his lawyer, Bernie Balmer, said Mr Closter was a young man with no prior convictions and was a third-year apprentice plumber.
He said Mr Closter would live with his father if granted bail.
Magistrate Kay Robertson agreed with police and refused him bail.
Outside court, Mr Balmer said his client was disappointed with the decision and would reapply for bail on Monday after the witness had been interviewed.
The court heard the witness was a friend of Mr Closter's who now lives in Perth.
"There (are) victims all over the place here, it is just a tragedy," Mr Balmer told reporters.
"(Mr Closter) is just an 18-year-old. You feel for the victim and the victim's family, as does my client's family. It is a very sad environment.
"I mean, he is an 18-year-old, he is scared, all the normal emotions."