TASMANIA'S bushfire emergency has shifted to the state's northwest, with residents warned it may be too late to leave their homes.
Fires across the state's southeast and east coast have destroyed more than 100 buildings since last week, with the worst damage done at Dunalley, east of Hobart.
The Tasmanian Fire Service issued an emergency warning this afternoon for a fire burning near Mawbanna, west of Burnie, saying it was likely too late for residents to leave.
There have been no reported deaths or serious injuries in the fires, but Tasmanian police and defence force personnel are searching affected properties for human remains.
Police say many people are unaccounted for.
Four watch and act warnings remain in place for bushfires across the state, including the Forcett blaze that has caused some damage, and a blaze at Bicheno on the east coast which has destroyed between 10 and 15 buildings.
The warnings are also in place for a fire at Lake Repulse, north of Hobart that has burned over 10,000ha, and a blaze at Epping Forest in central Tasmania.
Much of the Tasman Peninsula remained cut off on Monday, and road closures meant supplies have been slow coming through.
Hundreds spent the night in shelters at Nubeena, and at the Port Arthur historic site.
Police on Monday escorted convoys with badly needed supplies, while charities and volunteers brought in their own aid from Hobart via boats and ferries.
However, police have cautioned those driving boats around the area to take caution, and say several private vessels with well-meaning drivers were inadequate for the rough conditions.
The Insurance Council of Australia says at least $26 million in damage has been done to homes, businesses, vehicles and holiday shacks, but expect the figure to rise sharply in coming days.
Energy supplier Aurora said about 3000 homes on the peninsula were without power, and some could expect to remain blacked out for several weeks.
Aurora said fires had destroyed 600 power poles and many kilometres of power lines.
Police issued a statement saying none of the major bushfires are believed to be deliberately lit.
The Lake Repulse fire is thought have started with an abandoned campfire and the Bicheno blaze is thought to have been caused by a lightning strike.
Investigations into the Forcett fire continue, but police believe it was lit accidentally.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard visited some of the worst-hit towns on Monday, and said the nation was standing with Tasmanians during a difficult time.
"To all of those people, we are thinking of you in moments of grief and despair," she told reporters at the fire authority headquarters in Hobart.
"A number of people know their home has been destroyed, but as yet for safety reasons they haven't been able to ... see the damage for themselves."
Ms Gillard said she had met Victorian firefighters who were returning the favour to Tasmanian counterparts who helped them in the 2009 blazes.
Tasmanian Premier Lara Giddings warned the fire danger was not over, with warm conditions predicted for the state for the rest of the week.
"It's very important people remain vigilant," she said.