THE State Government today thanked Victorians for their generosity during the ongoing bushfires.
Acting Minister for Regional and Rural Development Peter Walsh said many people across Victoria had been looking for ways they could volunteer to help or donate money.
"People wishing to donate money to support the affected communities can do so through the Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund (GERF) website,” Mr Walsh said.
"There are currently no calls for donations of goods such as clothing and furniture.”
Mr Walsh said people wanting to volunteer their time or skills to assist with the bushfire clean up and recovery could sign up to the Victorian Emergency Volunteer Register.
"Volunteers are encouraged to register their details via this central portal, rather than by contacting local councils directly,'' Mr Walsh said.
"At this stage it is important to stay away from the affected areas so that emergency services can continue to respond effectively to the immediate threat.
"As communities move into the recovery phase and identify particular needs, local councils and nominated community organisations will contact registered volunteers who may be able to provide assistance.''
Mr Walsh said volunteers should not feel discouraged if they were not asked to help immediately.
"Recovery from a bushfire like this can be a long and complex process and it may take some time for councils to identify specific ways that registered volunteers can assist,'' Mr Walsh said.
Mr Walsh said the Coalition Government was also working with the Victorian Farmers Federation in organising a fodder drive to source and deliver donated fodder to stock owners in urgent need of supplies.
- Emergency Volunteers are invited to register their details at: www.volunteer.vic.gov.au
- Landholders in the Gippsland region who can donate fodder should contact the VFF on 1300 882 833
- People wishing to donate money can do so via the Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund:
- at any branch of the National Australia Bank, BSB: 083 932, Account Number: 048299080
- via post to Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund, PO Box 508, Traralgon, VIC, 3844
- via PayPal by following the link on the GERF website - www.relieffund.org.au