GIPPSLAND residents are being cautioned about eating seafood caught from the Gippsland Lakes.
It follows what the Department of Health has reported as a "toxic algae bloom" in the lakes.
The levels are understood to be low and only relate to fishing, not swimming or other recreational activities.
The Department of Health website advises elevated levels of blue-green algae toxins "above the recommended health guideline levels have been detected in whole fish taken from the Gippsland Lakes".
"Recent test results show that the toxin is concentrated in the internal organs of fish, and that fish which have been gilled and gutted are safe to eat," the website says.
"Although immediate symptoms from ingestion of affected whole fish are very unlikely, if present these may be non-specific and related to liver function such as fatigue, abdominal pain or jaundice.
"Of greater concern are more chronic health effects that may occur from accumulation of toxin from consumption of whole fish, such as kidney or liver damage, effects on reproductive organs or fetal development, and a potentially increased risk of cancer."
Crabs, prawns and mussels should also not be consumed at this time.
Department of Sustainability and Environment's Dr Daniel Mainville said the algal levels were currently quite low.
"Low levels of the toxic algae Nodularia, detected in December have contributed to the accumulation of toxins in fish and seafood within the Lakes," Dr Mainville said.
"Currently Nodularia is only detected at very low levels in the Bunga Arm area.
"Ocean caught seafoods are still safe to eat."
Dr Mainville said the DSE regularly monitored algal levels in the Gippsland Lakes and regular updates could be found at the DSE website.