THE flood threat to Rockhampton has been downgraded but hundreds of homes are still expected to be affected.The Fitzroy River is due to peak tomorrow afternoon.
It was initially thought 1100 homes would be flooded. However, the Rockhampton City Council on Thursday morning said 650 homes were at risk.
"Whilst it's inconvenient, this isn't going to be the big drama that we see in the southern flood," Mayor Margaret Strelow told ABC radio.
Meanwhile, 150 defence force personnel have arrived in the flood-stricken city of Bundaberg to join a massive recovery task.
Two thousand homes were affected when the Burnett River reached a record peak on Tuesday night, with half rendered uninhabitable.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard is expected to arrive in the city today.
The death toll for the Queensland flood disaster reached six yesterday when two farm workers were discovered dead.
They had been swept from their car near Gatton, west of Brisbane.
Thousands of people in central and southern Queensland have been displaced after extreme weather associated with ex-tropical cyclone Oswald caused widespread flooding.
Meanwhile, 27,000 homes and businesses in southeast Queensland are still without power.
Energy provider Energex says it has restored power to more than 270,000 premises, or 90 per cent of the properties that lost power.
"This has been the single biggest event that has impacted our network in my 31 years working in the industry," Energex's Peter Price said in a statement.